Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It Takes Leaving Home To Come Back

I've been back in the good old US of A for about a month now...and I've discovered something very profound: it takes leaving home to want to come back. And when I say "come back home", I don't just mean back to America...I mean back to the place of my childhood.

After a year of on-and-off travel, I have moved back home. To Oklahoma City!?!?!?

Yes, to Oklahoma City. Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains. Where Republicans out number Democrats about 1,000 to one. Where churches and bible stores line the streets. Where the terms "vegetarian," "eco-friendly," and "think global, support local" raise an eyebrow or cause parents to ear-muff their children. And, where my family resides.

Had you asked me 9 years ago, as I headed down to Austin, TX to begin my undergraduate schooling at the (beautiful) University of Texas, if I had plans to ever come back to Oklahoma City, I probably would have laughed in your face.

Had you asked me 5 years ago, whether I would want to come back home to LIVE WITH MY PARENTS, I would have told you, "I can't even handle being here a weekend, this place is toxic."

Had you asked me 2 years ago, if I could imagine myself packing up my entire life from (the best city in the world) Austin to move it to (conservative, heart of the bible belt) Oklahoma City, I would have looked at you like you were nuts.

But now you can ask me..."then what are you doing back in Oklahoma City, living with your parents?!?!" Well, I'll tell you this: sometimes it takes leaving home to realize how incredible your family is. How they love you unconditionally. How they support you in times of transition and pain. How they want the best for you, no matter what you've been through individually and together as a family unit. Sometimes it takes traveling the world, to discover that your world began with your family.

And for that, I am grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! Sean here.. How are you guys doing in Potrero beach? follow me @ http://thesoftthunderoflife.blogspot.com/
    Hope to see you there! Pura Vida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is a question i've been having ever since I heard about the 30 day diet. If I take a 30 day a month, do I have to lose .1lb a day? or can i eat anything I want and just cut out carbs and eat lots of veggies? I love my food. I'm not even that overweight, I'm just really hoping that if I do this, I'll actually be able to loose .1lb a day. If I can then Im pretty sure I'd never have to diet again but if I cant then I understand. I really just need an answer to this, and it seems to me that most of you are obese and have had weight loss problems over the years....so what is your experience? Does anyone have any kind of tips or tricks? I hope it doesn't seem too egotistical but i really need this for a lot of reasons. I'm currently on 7-8lbs. of "belly fat" so im hoping that if I can loose .1lb a day then my tummy would be at least the size of a 6 month old..If i could do that I'd be the happiest girl alive. but if that's totally impossible, please tell me what to do. i just have no idea how to go about this whole thing. How can I lose a lb a day?

    ReplyDelete