Sunday, September 19, 2010

First Impressions

Brandon & I worked with a travel agency to arrange transport, accommodations, and guides for our tour through the Golden Triangle: Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur. http://www.goldentriangleindia.net/ This has been hugely helpful as this circuit is the biggest and most famous Indian tourist destination which means there are a million touts (locals trying to sell you guides/tours/accommodations/meals/souvenirs/etc. etc.) and that equals BIG time rip-offs and added stress. So for the ease and hassle-free early India travel experience, we decided to use a legit agency to help us figure it all out.

This has translated into lots of time in our private car (with Sunder, our driver) driving from city to city...rather than taking the train. I was kinda bummed at first, because I felt like it would decrease our chances of interacting with locals and/or other tourists, but I actually have really enjoyed watching the pulse of these cities through the window; breeze flowing through my hair (oh yeah, and dust particles in my eyes and burning trash smell attacking my nostrils...but hey, you win some, you lose some). But seriously, if I can tell you one thing about India that I've learned so far, it's this: YOU THINK YOUR TRAFFIC IS BAD?!?! COME TO INDIA!

Weaving through the cluster-f&*@ of cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, three-wheeled "tuk tuks" & rickshaws takes the patience of a saint.
Traffic in India has a harmonious chaos to it: I seriously don't know how there aren't accidents like every 5 meters because...honestly...there are 2,000 people fighting for space on the road at any given time! I sat in the back our of car yesterday curious to know the rate of high blood pressure in India...and more specifically, the blood pressure of those tuk-tuck, rickshaw, and cab drivers...But they make it work. And no one seems to be stressed out or pissed off whenever they're cut off by the truck driver...or made to wait to cross the street for a long line of cars. And the horn honking?!?! It puts New Yorkers to shame. It's like a symphony of honking, beeping, hooting, and jingling...But again, no one is flipping of their road-side neighbor or spitting out curse words. Instead, the Indian horn honking isn't really a "F-you, get out of my way!" type of honk...but rather, a "Hey friend, watch out because I'm coming up on your right and I don't want to accidentally run into you in case you wanted to switch lanes" type of honk. Maybe this whole idea of karma has really sunk in at such a deep level that horrendous traffic can actually be peaceful and friendly?!?!...All I know is, I'm grateful (and surprised) that we've made it as far as we have without a scratch, dint, or middle finger.

Other exciting news on the streets of India: the people! Wow...what a colorful and beautiful bunch. From the bright and lively saris and salwar kameez of the Indian women carrying babies, to the long-legged, high-waisted Indian men (I swear, they are all so freaking long and lean!) meeting in their shops for business, to the family of three atop their motorcycle zipping by, the bright white locks of the elderly gentleman sipping chai, or the kids in bright blue school uniforms walking, smiling & laughing together...the streets of India have continued to amaze me. I think on our 4 hour drive from Agra to Jaipur today I must have stared out the window for a good 3 hours before taking a little snooze. No music, no reading...just people watching. It's amazing!

But it has left my curiosity hungry for some hardcore interaction. I want to know EVERYTHING!! What's the education system like? What do they think of the political leaders? What is their health care system like? What do they dream and hope for?...maybe it's the Social Worker in me...but I want some serious in-depth convo. Hopefully I'll get that soon. Until then, I'll just continue to enjoy my roti and daal...and call it a night.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful to hear you've arrived! The traffic is amazing isn't it - kind of like a dance. A dance which I felt I might never be capable of learning, but enjoyed when someone else was at the wheel. I love your descriptions of all the scenes before your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, when I get to India you will get a LOT of conversation and you will get to stay with a few of my relatives in Unnao/Kanpur, come with me and you will experience the inside of small town Indian life.

    ReplyDelete