Thursday, September 16, 2010

Namaste! Welcome to Delhi!

I made it safe & sound to Delhi about 4 hours ago (it's now 11:15 pm on Thursday here). After flying from Austin to Houston to Newark, I boarded the plane and found my window seat next to a young Indian man who couldn't be more friendly, helpful, and willing to talk about his beloved country. He suggested a great Indian Bollywood chick flick to watch called Love Aaj Kal (totally check it out if you can!), and after that...it was bedtime! Thanks to melatonin (and not sleeping but 30 minutes the night before) I thankfully slept the ENTIRE FLIGHT! That aside, I am still exhausted and after writing this blog, I'm headed to bed.

Arriving in Delhi was seemless: the flight was early; my bag came through as soon as I got to the carousel; plus the guy I met on the plane selflessly handed me about 900rupees to have, which is like $25...wow, I heard Indian culture was fueled by hospitality and genorosity...but I was completely amazed by that!

The hotel that Brandon & I are staying at was supposed to send a driver to pick me up (for a free shuttle service), but at first go-round I couldn't find my name on any of the (million) signs. So I talked with a young man from another hotel who called my hotel. No answer. Hmm...strange. Tried the cell phone of the driver. No answer. Hmm...even stranger. After another go-round, no "Ilene Solomon" signage...finally on the 3rd go-round (3rd time is always the charm, right?) I saw a handwritten sign with my name and the hotel's name on it. But, the ride wasn't free. He said it would cost 550 rupees. Hmm...strange. As I stepped back from the situation, my intuition said "Uhh, thanks for the ride, but no thanks" and my research reading said that there would be a prepaid taxi stand available to purchase safe and cheap rides. Luckily I found one right away and only paid 320 rupees. (I have a feeling that all those warnings about getting ripped off here are definitely legit.)

After a 25 minute cab ride (yea, India is cheap...it only cost me $7) I checked into the hotel and found Brandon. Yay for the Western-style toilet in our hotel room...I had pretty much fully embraced my last bathroom visit in the Newark airport with the seated-flush toilets, so I was pleasantly surprised with this special treat! Brandon said that we also have hot water! Woo hoo...things are looking bright already! :)

Brandon spent the day today researching tours and comparing prices, so it looks like we're off to tour the Golden Triangle tomorrow (Delhi-Agra-Jaipur)...but I'll keep yall posted soon!

Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. Sista, we know your bladder gotta have that bathroom! Does it even have a door?

    ReplyDelete